Pets are a special group of animals. Some animals are more suited to living with people than others. We call them domestic animals. You wouldn’t want a hippopotamus, a crocodile or a pelican living in your house would you? All animals have natural behaviours and needs. Pets are animals whose natural needs and behaviours fit reasonably well when living with humans.
Poppy, Toby, Rhino and I are all pets and we all have very different natural behaviours and needs. We also all have our own personalities just like all of you. There are 2 main things that people can do so that we are able to express our normal behaviours as much as possible.
The first is exercise which helps keep our bodies and our minds healthy and alert. Just like when people exercise it keeps our muscles strong, helps us digest our food, circulates blood and nutrients, as well as helping to prevent us from getting fat. Exercise also keeps our minds healthy and makes us feel good.
I need way more exercise than Toby and Poppy. Did you know that I need about 2 hours of walking everyday and then I need play time as well. Sometimes I have to bark “wroooffff, wrof, woooff, wof, rooof!” which means “get up dad and take me for a walk!”
The other important thing that helps us be happy and healthy is stimulation. They call this enrichment and it’s when we are given toys or played with in ways that mean we get to do some of the things that are natural to us. I’ve seen some of you playing with Toby. Cats like to chase and hunt things so when he is stalking and pouncing on the string he is having a great time. Cats also like to climb so often people buy them climbing towers and scratching posts to play with.
Rhino also likes to sit up high. In his cage Rhino has sticks for him to sit on like branches in a tree and he has toys that he pulls and pushes around.
What are some of the things dogs like to do?
Have you seen my big box of toys? My mum and dad buy these toys because I can throw them around, chew then and tug on them. One of the things I love most of all is playing tug rope with people. I swing my head back and forth and pull back really hard.
The other thing I really enjoy is chasing stuff. You throw it and I’ll run after it for sure.
Hi Milo, thank you for telling us about all the normal behaviours for animals at our school. Maybe you can come visit us and show us some of your toys?
ReplyDeleteHi C3. I would love to come and show you my toys. Most of them have holes and teeth marks in them... ops. I'm pleased you are enjoying reading my blog. Have a great day
DeleteHey thats looks fun!!
ReplyDelete